Tuesday, February 5, 2019

At the Library...

One fun thing I like to do while researching my ancestors starts at the library.  At lot of libraries will have a collection of city directories.  By using a city directory you can find an address for where your ancestor lived during a certain time.  My great, great grandfather, Tilghman Overton, lived with his brother, Mark, when he was in Lincoln.  On a visit to Union College Library in
Lincoln, NE I found a directory listing where Mark Overton was living at the time.

Line


He was living at 2110 Q St., in Lincoln.  I used the address and plugged it into Google Earth to see if the home still exists.  In this case it did not, but I still was able to get an idea of the area.


*Google Earth PRO
Where the home used to sit there are now great walking trails.  It is hard to tell from the "street view" but what I see are sculptures and walking paths.

*Google Earth PRO





*Google Earth PRO

Another address I found in the Omaha Public Library belonged to my great uncle George Boehler.
He was living at 102 S. 52nd St., Omaha Ne.  I had a lot more luck viewing this home.  George was a dentist in Omaha and he was a bachelor.  He did not own this home but rented a room here.  He died at a young age from compications of an appendicitis surgery in 1933.  I love being able to google an address and see where my ancestors resided.  Somehow this makes them more real!
#52Ancestors  #Atthelibrary

No comments:

Post a Comment